Category: Juan Del Potro Videos

DEL POTRO DEFEATS ISNER AT COUPE ROGERS

Argentina international Juan Martin delPotro defeated John Isner at the Coupe Rogers in Montreal 7-5 7-5.


The 2009 Montreal finalist – before losing to Andy Murray – missed the 2015 edition but says he was glad to be back. He is 11-0 in opening round games this term even though he never faced break point. He got two breaks of serve needed to dispatch Isner at the ATP World Tour Masters.

“It’s amazing for me. I missed this tournament a lot. I couldn’t play the last editions because of my wrist. But now I’m in good shape. I have the chance to play after many years, and I started by winning a good match against Isner,” he said after the hard fought victory.

Del Potro is happy to continue after losing in the third round of the Citi Open to Kei Nishikori. Isner was yet to drop a set since losing to Israeli DudiSela at Wimbledon 2017. Del Potro ended Isner’s winning streak, recording his own 16th match win this season. The American was a big server, erasing two break points to tie 5-5 before Del Potro’s killer forehand winner. Read more »

DEL POTRO JOINS AEGON CHAMPIONSHIPS AT QUEEN’S CLUB

This summer, Juan Martin delPotro became the fourth Grand Slam champion at the Queen’s Club to join in the Aegon Championships.


Thus he joins the likes of Andy Murray, the current World No 1, Rafael Nadal, 14-time Grand Slam title winner and the reigning US Open Champion Stan Wawrinka at the Club.

The Argentine who in 2009, defeated Roger Federer in five sets to win the US Open at Flushing Meadows stated that he was happy to be back in the Championships.

He said; “”I am so happy to be coming back to the Aegon Championships at Queen’s Club. It is a great event, to me a very traditional moment of the calendar, such a nice place to play in front of fans that have always been nice to me.”

He also went on to mention some of his memories there such as in 2013 where he got to the semi-finals at Wimbledon, winning the bronze Medal in 2012 at the Olympics held in London, and last year in Scotland where he participated in the Davis Cup. Read more »

DEL POTRO CLAIMS OPENING MATCH IN ACAPULCO

Juan Martin Del Potro will now head into a second-round clash with top seed Novak Djokovic, on Tuesday night at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel after he narrowly held off Frances Tiafoe to claim his opening match in Acapulco, an event that is his second for the year.


The match which went on for about two hours and 33 minutes saw del Potro hold off the free-swinging Tiafoe 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(1). Tiafoe, 19 years old who grew up idolizing del Potro almost came close to toppling the former World No. 4 in the Emirates ATP Rankings during the match.

Del Potro, who was the semifinalist at the Delray Beach Openlast week started stronger as he broke for 5-4 in the opening set of the game. On a return error from the American qualifier’s racquet, the Argentine came up with three set points. Read more »

DEL PORTO’S FAIRYTALE ENDING

Ever since his series of injuries, it has seemed as though there will be no redeeming moment for the 6 feet 6 inch Argentine giant, after the defining moment of his career seven years ago, the tennis player has been ravaged by injuries that greatly setback his promising career.


However, recent developments have shown that the Argentine has made remarkable progress in his effort to turn his career around for the better with the Davis cup glory. Juan martin Del Porto achieved a seemingly fairytale ending in Zagreb as he obtained an unforgettable comeback victory over a belligerent opponent Marin Cilic, which served as an inspiring factor to his teammate Federico Delbonis for a sensational and outstanding 3-2 victory over the hosts Croatia.

His amazing recovery and return to form is bound to reach out to tennis fanatics who have been yearning to see someone other than Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic making the headlines. After his triumphant finish at the US open, the Argentinean received a mind-blowing hero’s welcome. He was grandly received back into the nation’s capital of Buenos Aires with a parade to celebrate the tennis legend.

Read more »

Del Potro In The Stuttgart Open

As in the first week of June 2016 fans of Juan Martin Del Potro will find the player gearing up to play in Wimbledon.


It would be part of the Stuttgart Open tournament. He, along with Roger Federer would be testing injuries in the run period in Wimbledon. It has already begun as fans get ready to witness action in the grass courts where Stuttgart Open would be hosted.

If you recollect, Rafael Nadal had won an edition about a year back. The court had a clay surface, then which has been switched since. Nadal this time is out of action as he is nursing an injury in this wrist. However, Federer is there to represent him in this tournament.  Federer, who is 34 years of age and of Swiss origin, would be practicing on Sunday. The courts have been laid about a year ago by specialists for Wimbledon. The unofficial approval for the same was received in 2015. John McEnroe had a hit on the court surface when a dedication ceremony was going on, hosted at the Weissenhof club. Federer has been off the circulation as his back pain had been troubling him. However, his trainers have stated that he is fit for the match now. Read more »

The thought of retiring from the game had crossed the minds of Juan Martin Del Potro

The thought of retiring from the game had crossed the minds of Juan Martin Del Potro when he had to go through repeated surgeries the previous year, but, he shrugged it off and he is pretty determined now to make a comeback in 2016.

Del Potro has played very little in the last twenty months and as a result, has seen his singles world rankings slipping down to 582.

His fans would be desperate for him to come back and show his old class again, but, it would not be that easy for the Argentinean after having so many operations on that same body part.

There has been a suggestion that Del Potro, who normally plays his backhand shots holding the racket with both his hands, would be better off playing that shot using one hand only as quite a few other players do.

But, recently, talking to a website, Del Potro made it clear that he’s not going to make any changes in his playing style and would continue playing the way he has always been. Read more »